Lympne Airfield: At War and Peace is the story of ‘Kent’s Garden Airfield’, so called because of its location on an escarpment overlooking Hythe and Romney Marsh. An airfield born out of necessity during the First World War, many record-breaking flights were conducted at Lympne following 1918. During the 1920s and 30s, a time that saw the expansion of the RAF, civilian and RAF units shared the airfield and its facilities. Imperial Airways and other civilian airlines often used the airfield being on route to France. At the same time the Cinque Ports Flying Club was founded, many air races and flying displays took place. With the declaration of the Second World War on 3 September 1939, it was realised that it was an ideal location for the RAF being close to the coast.
Lympne was host to many RAF units and squadrons during the war. When peace came, private flying returned and airlines such as Silver City and Skyways operated their services to Europe. Flying continued into the early 1970s, but following closure, the airfield was developed and industrial units constructed. Today, little remains of this once important airfield.
Anthony J. Moor was educated at the Royal Naval School, Tal-Handaq, Malta, in the early 1960s, being the son of a RN officer. On leaving school in 1964, Moor served a five-year engineering apprenticeship at Hatfield with Hawker Siddeley Aviation commencing at the de Havilland Technical School. He later became a draughtsman with AEG Germany and returned to England to continue work in engineering including working for Metair Aircraft Equipment Ltd at West Malling airfield in Kent.
Dimensions: 234 x 156 mm
Illustrations: 117 b/w photographs