From the early 1800s there was a need for people to travel between the two settlements that were separated by the Schuylkill River. In 1839, the opening of the railroad in Royersford increased that desire and resulted in the first bridge being built just one year later in 1840. Although this covered wooden bridge was washed away in a flood ten years later, it was replaced immediately with another similar wooden structure.
In 1884, a fire burned down this bridge. The twin boroughs, dependent on this vital connecting link, built an iron bridge that was dubbed “The Permanent Bridge.”
In 1922, this iron bridge was condemned due to rust and a new concrete bridge was erected. Although the concrete bridge has been reconditioned several times, it still serves the communities today with a constant flow of cars and trucks crossing over daily.
Dimensions: 235 x 165 mm
Illustrations: sepia and color photographs throughout